Wednesday, September 2, 2015

desistance

Desistance

It glows amber, warm from subtle friction,
A matchhead slowly drawn, never lit,
Stretched over a thousand smiles.

It's the space between us, the vexing gulf,
The humble paradox of distance never closed,
A desolate, welcome comfort.

In the commercial curve of your neck,
In your familiar clothes and skin,
At last I conjoin affection and grace.

I do not mind the lack of fire,
Or the infrequent, incidental brush of hands.
I starve for them.  I relish their absence.

I am a creature flush with inverse desire.
When twinkling eyes set my fingers to trembling,
I will them still.  I do not reach,

Even in that too-soft moment in the fading light,
As your hair spills across your eyes and halts my voice.
I refuse the golden mercy reflected in your lips.

I turn away.  I tend my chilly embers,
Stirring the seeds of a flame that will never burn.
But let them simmer, and warm me from within.

No comments:

Post a Comment