Monday, November 27, 2023

immiscible

how you test me.

each better hour of my bitter days,

you arrange the torment of the seconds,

you essay the sunlight,

you deliver the silence

that reminds me of you.


I mistook you in the morning,

viewing through the glass a yellow car,

like daffodils, asleep along the lane,

as parallel with the curb

as you with my heart now run.

But you traded that car for another.


I upset the soft-blue basket with 

the bread, the cheese, the jam

you would have favored.

I gather, spread, pretend

to honor fuzzy memory,

tasting the sweetness

you never offered.


I speak with the wind,

consult the rain,

conspire with the sky,

but everywhere and everything

has found you first.

Every little gesture,

each tender confidence,

the kindly world entire

knows your pity and your love

for me, and plays along.

No comments:

Post a Comment