Monday, May 13, 2013

reflections in shadow


...trying to ski without any skis...

...wanting to talk when I'm not supposed to...

...my teeth falling out, one by one, as punishment for betrayal...

These are some of the dreams I had last night, which was an unusually fruitful night for dreamsauce.  They were mainly disturbing, and none too happy!  I don't remember my dreams very frequently, but when I do, they tend to be more weird than upsetting.  Last night alternated between the frustrating and the grotesque.

As part of my now-ended poetry class, I kept a dream journal for about a week.  Here were the results:

Dream Journal
·         2/6-2/7:  In high school, but not the one I went to.  Mixed in with people I remember were people I've met since.  I couldn't find a seat, and the teacher was unhappy with me.  The class material, whatever it was, was too challenging, and the people sitting nearby me were annoyed that I kept asking them for help.
·         2/7-2/8:  On a car trip with my wife and a few of her friends.  We arrive at a house at the top of a long driveway, and my wife and her friends go off to some sort of gathering -- a bonfire maybe?  I stay behind with the car, but I begin to have strange difficulties with the gear shift; at times there seem to be two levers (although it is an automatic transmission), and the car seems to be moving no matter how I try to put it in park.  I feel like there is a menacing presence in the car with me.  Although I am having trouble with the car, I still want to stay in it...something about the gathering or party that my wife and her friends have gone to  repels me.
·         2/8-2/9:  can't remember a thing
·         2/9-2/10:  I am a secret agent or national-level investigator on the trail of a criminal, chasing him through a region that resembles Eastern Europe.  He is always one step ahead, and eventually I realize that he is moving through a parallel world.  I find a way to move myself into the other world, and I am in a place that is disturbingly different from our world; plants transform at the touch, everything is colored wrong, there are almost no people, and feudalism seems to be going strong.  I continue my hunt, but I realize that my target has developed amazing powers in this world that make him all but uncatchable, although I come close to catching him several times.  This dream has two endings.  In the first, I return to the real world only to find that I myself have been changed by my journey, and I am now capable of strange feats; however, regular people find me disturbing and uncomfortable to be around.  In the second ending, I track my target to a fortress in a forest, only to find that he has joined forces with one even stronger.  I am beaten up by the stronger one and forced to flee, then decide to make my life in this new world and return to challenge them, even stronger.
·         2/10-2/13:  can’t remember, but shades of themes similar (struggle, failure or incompletion, not fitting in)

I've always known that these themes were present in the majority of my dreams; I don't really have happy dreams, as far as I remember.  But putting those feelings down in a journal like that was a little more worrisome, because it indicated to me that these are probably the only kinds of dreams I ever have.

I wrote a poem about my dreams, but it wasn't that good.  Here's the best part of it:

I have a dream, but he is poor.
He cannot run,
Fight,
Speak,
And cannot change his mind.

I go on in that poem to contemplate whether my waking times are like dreams to my dream-self, and perhaps he watches my personal failures with that same sense of helpless, uncomfortable inevitability. Somehow, I'm comforted by the notion that, when I go to sleep, he wakes up, shakes his head, and feels thankful that his life isn't really like mine, that I was just a dream he'd had (or nightmare).

I think that I'm going to appropriate, for now, a flourish used by the writer of Penny Arcade, wherein he finishes out his blog posts with a lyric from a song he's heard recently.  I always have one song or another stuck in my head, and I think it might be nice to give you a peek inside the music that entrances me.


I won't lie, I thought of you when you weren't around

1 comment:

  1. There's a song for that!
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BJW8JL0/?tag=lastfmmp3-20

    ReplyDelete