Friday, August 3, 2018

a weirdo in china, pt. 7: photoemission

On this day, I finally saw what all the fuss was about.

It was a relatively quiet start to the day. My feet were hurting a bit from all the walking I'd been doing, so I took it easy and explored the local neighborhoods a bit, but there wasn't all that much to see.

For lunch, a friend and I got Anhui food. I thought standards of quality were pretty low around here in general, but this place opened my eyes. Their vegetable of choice is celery.







That last one is jellyfish, for your information, and it was pretty gross. It had the consistency of a plastic wallet and the flavor of a plastic lemon. Maybe somebody does jellyfish right, but it wasn't these guys. Also, they lied to us and told us their cuisine was similar to Sichuan, just because that's what we were looking for. Jerks.

After that disappointment, I knew I had to make things right. I had to visit...the Bund.

The Bund is a stretch of river walk in Shanghai that has a perfect view of all the most iconic buildings in the city. It is, without hyperbole, one of the two most amazing views I've ever experienced, with the other being the sight of the cathedral in Cologne.




Nanjing Road, where the crush of people approaches the ridiculous. This cop had to cut off the crowd and order us to stop so that cars could go past, but people kept slipping past his cordon, smugglers in the night.









It was amazing. It was necessary. If you go to Shanghai, go see the Bund.

No comments:

Post a Comment