Tuesday, December 22, 2015

2015, An Annotated Year in Scott: March

I didn't get up to quite as much mischief in March, so you'll have to forgive a little extra editorializing.



Pinocchio, what's the big deal?  It was a little discouraging to find my excite dropping after only the second of a 55-part series.  I stuck it out, of course, because I'm lucky enough to know that there's a lot of fantastic stuff up ahead.  If I didn't know, if Disney weren't already infinitely popular and well-known, I might have given up on it right at the beginning.  We don't know anything, and our judgment is often wrong.



The secret is that good baking requires little knowledge beyond the basics.  After that, you're just following recipes, and if you're conscientious, nothing can go wrong.  The same is not the case for life.  No matter how conscientious you are, a lot will go wrong.  If you can't take the heat, stay in the kitchen.



That was the greatest dream of my life, and nothing will ever measure up to it.  If only there were more Hollywood Gilbert & Sullivan productions!  But I suppose its ignominy is part of its magic, after all.



I tried.  I entered that restaurant utterly determined to have a terrible experience, and I was horribly disappointed by the uniformly "pretty good" quality of the food and atmosphere.  It was not crowded, the staff were very pleasant, and there was plenty of everything to go around.  I tasted a bit of each dish on offer, and they were all relatively enjoyable.  I left the restaurant satiated but frustrated that I had nothing to complain about.  I was able to take some cotton candy on a stick out with me, which tickled my childish fancies something fierce.  With a rueful smile on my face, I stepped out into the waiting rain outside, and my cotton candy promptly disintegrated.  Serves me right.



Terry Pratchett's death hit me pretty hard, which embarrassed me.  The man was an avid proponent of death not as a finality, but a transformation.  Mainly I think I was sad that I would never have the chance to read another one of his books and uncover one more grain of cosmic wisdom, although it all really boils down to "wouldn't it be great if we'd give each other the benefit of the doubt more often?"  From him, I learned how kindnesses can be cruel, and cruelties kind, and I came to see how it's not the solution to a problem that's dependent on where you stand, but rather it's the existence of those problems in the first place.  Most sincerely, he was like a father to me.



I eat a lot of things, but certainly not that cake.



I spotted this snowcat outside of Fonthill Castle in Doylestown, a really awesome place that you should absolutely go to visit.  It has more tiles than a Mahjong set, and there is more to see there than is dreamt of in your philosophy.



The problem with this little predilection of mine is that, as you edit more and more academic papers, you gain more and more context.  This world is wide, but not nearly wide enough to ease my voracious hunger for novelty.  On to the next!

No comments:

Post a Comment