Monday, December 28, 2015

2015, An Annotated Year in Scott: September


For the prior two Septembers, I challenged myself to write a blog post every day in September, and I succeeded.  They weren't always good, but they challenged me to come up with new things to write about each day, which I appreciated.  However, in the second year of doing it, things started to drag, and I questioned what the purpose was behind it if I wasn't really enjoying writing.  I managed to struggle through that second year of it, but resentfully, and I was left with this vague feeling that I'd made the wrong decision.  This year, I didn't push myself.  If I didn't feel like writing, I didn't write.  I got a lot less done, but it felt more honest, and I was pleased with myself.


I thought this one was really good!


It didn't take me long to make peace with the idea.


As pregnancy announcements go, this one could probably use some work.  We had big plans, mainly involving illustrated frogs, but nothing came together.  In the end, that's okay -- this other thing we're making is going to be a lot more interesting.


Just the nutrients a growing fetus needs.


I don't want to be the kind of person who keeps his expectations low to avoid being disappointed, but it's hard.  It's hard, and nobody understands.


We all might!  Don't discount the nebulous difference between flora and fauna!


Wow I was really miserable when I wrote this!


What does it mean for my life that this is the most exciting thing I had to post about on this day?  I should be scuba diving with famous futurists!  Although really, my friend Donna is a quietly amazing person.  There are more of those around you than you might realize.


Perhaps it's just my love of the novel Lolita that informs my fascination with the name Dolores.  There is certainly something about this poem that gets to me, though.  Our Lady of Pain.


This little lady is likely to cause me quite a bit of pain.  But beyond that, I expect, quite a lot more happiness.  Thank goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment