Tuesday, August 5, 2014

going gentle

Play #5 - Hero

Does there exist in everyone the propensity for great violence?  I doubt it.  In my youth I was pretty violent, at least as far as my siblings were concerned, but I don't think I've ever truly used violence in anger as an adult.  I've certainly gotten angry enough that I wished great harm would befall someone, but never to the point that my vision went red and I took up the burden of doing the deed myself.  I probably won't ever feel that, unless, as I understand it, somebody threatens my children (when I have 'em).

Rather than a heated temper, I've always been impressed with the idea of a cold anger.  The kind that could simmer quietly beneath the surface, only expressed through quiet, subtle remarks, and culminating in an act of perfectly calculated vengeance.  Really, what's the satisfaction of hitting somebody, compared to finding a way to utterly dismantle the very foundation of who they are?  Not that I've ever done that, but it sounds awesome.

I will wake up very early tomorrow to make my way to Maine, as I've said.  I have never been to Maine.  I mainly know that it is very pretty, and very far away.  How frequently those two are correlated.

No comments:

Post a Comment