Saturday, August 23, 2014

upward thrust

Play #15 - Dues

Play #16 - The Pack

Play #17 - Insurance

Play #18 - The Tragedy of Contentment

Play #19 - Heart of Stone

As writers, we have nothing to draw on but our own experiences.  That's the birthplace of all our ideas.  It's very tempting and easy to channel the thoughts and emotions we have on a daily basis directly into writing, but is it always a good idea?  Does it really help to deal with those feelings?

My poetry professor didn't necessarily think so.  She acknowledged that poetry can play a therapeutic role, but she discouraged us from sharing that work publicly.  I think she felt that art should exist for the sake of art, and that it was gauche to air your private coping strategies proudly.  But you can't create great art without being in touch with those emotions.  How close can you get before people start to feel like it's uncomfortably personal?  Is that the true challenge of art?

I like open endings.  I want the reader to imagine what happens next; I think your imagination is ultimately more affecting than anything I can put into words.  But is that just being lazy?  Is it a weakness, or a strength?

Lots of questions, lately.  Questions about the nature of things, questions about the inside of things.  I feel so strong.  So strong that I don't even need the answers, but I like to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment