Friday, September 19, 2014

crossroads of destiny

On my drive home today, I came to a 5-way intersection, one where I must turn left (the second left, mind) in order to continue on my way.  Thankfully, the lights change quickly at this intersection, so even though it's very busy, the wait is never overlong.  Until today!

Today, the traffic going the other way was terrible, and several gleeful individuals took it upon themselves to "block the box."  This held me up, and I was annoyed, but I knew the light would eventually change and I'd be able to proceed.

The light did change, and the silly drivers blocking me were gone, but before it was my turn to turn, I had to let the cross traffic pass.  A truck to my right made its own left turn, and the driver willfully, knowingly, voluntarily blocked the entire intersection!

The door was barred to further progress -- not just my own, but everyone in the intersection.  This single individual was responsible for shutting down traffic on four separate roadways.  And he just sat there, unashamed and unwilling to wait for his space to be green.

He took exactly what he wanted, and he had the power to do so, in his mighty truck.  He took from all of us waiting patiently.  Why did he do it?  Did he feel justified in his action?  Should I have tried to drive under his trailer?

My light came, and still he sat there.  I finally grew frustrated and went the long way around, driving the shape of a question mark.  And that shape mirrored my own feelings...I was puzzled.  Here, a man saw what he wanted, and he took it with no regard for others.  It was not admirable.  I want to say I can't accept that behavior, even if it didn't affect me directly.

But then...did he have any other choice?  If everything is blocking your way, is the right decision to just stand still?  Or does there come a moment when you have to shove it all aside and claim something for yourself, regardless of the consequences for others?  Maybe you just have to trust that people will find a way to go around.

No comments:

Post a Comment