Thursday, September 11, 2014

la lune, selene, élan

O, Moon!  Unbidden, but you come.  Untethered, but you circle.  What man did not gaze upon your pockmarked shimmering beauty and desire to possess you?

You are the silken pearl that calls to dreamers everywhere with the vision of your ancient radiance.  Yours is the voice that summons us to the highest points always.  Yours is the visage that pulls at the bottom-most depths of our hearts, drawing us higher and higher into the heavens.  Where would we be without you, but on the ground?

And when I stare, sullen and alone, into the inkpot sea, it is your smile that buoys me, and your gentle tides that point me back to home.

And when I stop in the cornfield and remember too sharply, it is your shining grin, O Moon, that jostles me from reflection into life.

For do you not dance, circling endlessly, our silent partner in the night?

Do you not face us, guarding your secrets closely, daring us to explore?

We feel you from afar, but would you have us touch?

Never was there a spot, O Moon, that a man looked upon and did not wish to stand there.  So it is!  So you are!  Far, distant, remote, vague but not unreachable!

That is your greatest mystery, O Moon, the tale you would not tell.  A man can go to you and then return, and think of other things again.

But, as for me, I will not go -- and so, not going, can think of nothing else.  Nothing but your luminance, the silver path you carve in the sky, your ceaseless, wanton beckoning...

I am yours, O Moon, though you are larger in my heart than in the sky.  Yours, forever wrapped within your crystal light.  Yours, until I go to you, and then return.

The Moon - Salvador Dali

No comments:

Post a Comment